Upon completion of the humanities Major at Bethel College, students should demonstrate a growing ability to:
- analyze, interpret, and evaluate works of art, history, philosophy, and literature with empathy, charity, and critical insight.
- produce clearly and creatively written essays, research papers, and other texts addressing a variety of topics in the humanities.
- understand the intellectual and cultural forces and movements that have shaped the world and their own lives.
- enter “the great conversation” with and about great books, great art, and great ideas—from the perspective of a Christian worldview—with confidence and competence and appreciate the connections between the various humanities sub–disciplines (history, literature, philosophy, etc).
- identify ways in which the study of humanities has contributed to their own character, spritual, and intellectual formation.