- Title Assistant Professor of Biology
- Work Phone 574.807.7107
- Office Middleton Hall of Science, Room 107 1001 Bethel Circle Mishawaka IN 46545 USA EST
- Send an email
Steven A. Galat is an Assistant Professor of Biology at Bethel College. He holds his B.S. degree from Kent State University and his M.D. degree from Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine. He received his residency training at Akron City Hospital in Akron, Ohio. Dr. Galat began his career as a surgeon by partnering with Gerig Surgical Associates in 1992. He worked in two local hospitals: St. Joseph Hospital and Bremen Hospital, where he performed a wide variety of surgeries including laparoscopic, vascular, gynecological, oncological and other surgery cases.
In 2002, Dr. Galat joined the Bethel staff as an adjunct professor. In 2007, he became a full-time faculty member and is currently teaching human anatomy and physiology. Dr. Galat is involved with Bethel’s Wellness Committee and the Distance Learning Task Force. His favorite memories at Bethel are working on the human cadaver. This donation allowed his students to appreciate how the body works together. Dr. Galat is the advisor for all pre-med students.
Outside of teaching, Dr. Galat is a member of the Trinity Evangelical Free Church in South Bend, IN, where he has served faithfully in numerous positions including an Elder and Chairman of the Administrative Board. Dr. Galat and his lovely wife named Colleen have four school aged children, Dan, Abbie, Kristina, and Bethany. He has walked the entire Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Main and plans other long distance hiking endeavors in the future. His further interests include downhill skiing, classic literature, and photography.
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society (HAPS)
- Indiana State Medical Association
- St. Joseph County Medical Association
- Christian Medical Association
- Department of Surgery Chairman, St. Joseph Hospital of Mishawaka
- Department of Surgery Vice Chairman, St. Joseph Hospital of Mishawaka
- Quality Assurance Committee, St. Joseph Hospital of Mishawaka
- Ancilla Hospital Board Member
- Director of Nutritional Services
- Director of Esophageal manometry lab