Chair, Department of Music & Department of Visual Arts
Associate Professor of Music
- Work Phone 574.807.7247
- Office Everest-Rohrer Chapel/Fine Arts Center, Room 128 1001 Bethel Circle Mishawaka IN 46545 USA EST
- Send an email
- M.M.E., Music Education, Northern Michigan University
B.M.E., Music Education, Northern Michigan University
Robert N. Ham is associate professor of music and chair of the Music Department at Bethel College. He holds B.M.E. and M.M.E. degrees from Northern Michigan University. Prior to coming to Bethel in 1989 he taught at Brookwood High School in Ontario, Wisconsin and Barclay College in Haviland, Kansas. Twice he was honored as Professor of the Year at Barclay College. In 2008, Bob was honored as Professor of the Year at Bethel College.
In addition to directing the choir and chairing the division, he teaches choral methods and directs the Voices Of Triumph. Bob is a member of ACDA, ICDA, NAfME and IMEA. In 2003 and 2004, he was honored as a member of Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers. He tours with the Bethel Choir every year.
Under Bob's leadership, the Bethel College choirs have performed at Carnegie Hall three times including a solo concert under Bob's direction. In 2004, the Bethel Choir represented the state of Indiana at The National Cathedral in Washington, DC. In 2003 and 2006, the Voices of Triumph performed for the ICDA summer conference. In February 2008, Voices Of Triumph performed at the American Choral Directors Association Central Division convention in Grand Rapids, Mich. In 2012 Voices Of Triumph performed for the IMEA Conference.
"I feel like I am the most blessed man in the world," Bob states. "Directing choirs and having the privilege of working with colleagues, students, and church family is rewarding beyond description!"
- Teaching Interests:
- Choir Director, A cappella Ensemble Director, Choral Methods in Music Education, Church Music Ministry, Academic Advisor
- Publications and Research:
- Writer of “The Choir Loft,” a regular feature in “The Christian Sound and Song” magazine
- Workshop leader for Choral Director and Church Music genres
- Awards and Achievements:
- Professor of the Year, Bethel College, 2008
- Twice honored as Professor of the Year at Barclay College, Haviland, Kansas
- Who’s Who of American College Professors, 2003, 2004
- Community Involvement:
- Past Minister of Music for Clay United Methodist Church for 22 years
- Professional Associations:
- American Choral Directors Association (ACDA)
- Indiana Choral Directors Association (ICDA)
- The National Association for Music Education (NAfME)
- Indiana Music Teachers Association (IMEA)
- Personal Interests:
- A cappella music of all styles, Church music, Musicals, Fishing, Reading, Antiquing, Swimming, Boating, Playing games, Kayaking
- Professional Links:
- Zephaniah 3:17:
- "The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his love, He will rejoice over you with singing."