Who is eligible for scholarships
Music scholarships are available for (in priority) intended music majors, minors and talented elective students. Scholarships vary in amounts and may be renewed each year of continued study meeting guidelines set forth below. Audition dates are scheduled each academic year between October and April. Any auditions after mid-April will need to be via electronic link or DVD and scholarships may be limited.
- Please submit an application for admission to Bethel College before scheduling a music audition. See Bethel Admissions Home for information.
- Preview the established Audition Dates to determine times that work for you.
- Note: If you live more than 300 miles from Bethel, a video recording may be submitted. Please email a completed Audition Application Form with a digital link to your online audition to email@example.com OR mail your completed form with your audition on DVD to: Bethel College/Music Department/1001 Bethel Circle, Mishawaka, IN 46545-5591.
- Call the Music Department at 574.807.7575 to reserve an audition time. Any questions you have can be answered at that time. Please let us know if you will need a Bethel accompanist.
- Print off an Audition Application Form and bring the completed form with you to your audition.
- See specific instructions for singers and instrumentalists below to prepare for your audition.
- The day of your audition, please arrive early at the Music Office (FA120) in the Everest-Rohrer Fine Arts Building at the east end of the campus. Parking is available in the adjacent parking lot. After entering the main front entrance take the elevator/stairs to the lower level. The Music Office is at the far end of the hallway.
- Auditions usually take 15 minutes with actual performance time about 10 minutes. Please plan to stay an extra 20-30 minutes to complete a theory placement assessment.
Specifics for Singers
- Please be prepared to perform two selections displaying contrasting styles. These should display a variety of tempo and dynamics, as well as demonstrate your ability and range. Memorized performances are preferred. If you plan to major, include at least one classical song. Total performance time should not exceed 10 minutes.
- You may bring your own accompanist or we can provide one for you. We also can arrange to have a CD player available but only piano accompaniments are acceptable. Please contact us about your plans and accompaniment needs.
- If you play an instrument as well, please bring a piece which will display your skill and we will listen to two vocal solos and part of your instrumental selection.
Specifics for Instrumentalists and Pianists
- Bring two pieces to play and supply a score for the faculty to follow. Instrumentalists are not required to perform by memory.
- If you play more than one instrument or sing, please bring an extra piece to demonstrate your skill.
- You may bring your own accompanist or we can provide one for you. Please contact us about your plans and accompaniment needs.
Scholarship Recipient Responsibilities
- Within two weeks of your audition you will receive a letter in the mail from the Music Department outlining your scholarship status and requirements. Your signature of acceptance must be returned to the music department to finalize the scholarship process. The designated scholarship amount will appear as a credit on your Bethel statement in two portions, one-half each semester.
- If you receive a scholarship from the Music Department you will need to:
- Take private lessons
- Be part of a large ensemble or ensembles (as indicated in your letter)
- Perform an assigned duty for the Music Department throughout the year. This duty may be waived upon consideration of extra music ensemble participation.
- Keep a 2.5 GPA in music and a 2.0 GPA overall.
- Scholarship amounts continue each year if student responsibilities are met.