Network and e-mail accounts will only be given to current Bethel College students, faculty, and staff. Use of Bethel College computers, our campus network and Internet must conform to the Bethel Lifestyle Covenant Agreement. In the event of any misuse of network or computer account usage, Bethel College may disable or suspend the user’s computer account.
Responsible use of the college computer and network resources requires that you:
- Respect the copyright and license provisions to all programs and data made available on the campus computer
- Respect the copyright of all materials with respect to their incorporation into software, presentations, multimedia applications and Internet servers.
- Respect the rights of others by not tampering with their accounts, passwords, programs or data. Users must also refrain from using other users’ accounts with or without their authorization.
- Do not share your computer accounts or passwords with others
- Conserve paper, ink and toner.
- The use of college computing and network resources for private commercial uses is prohibited.
- Preserve the privacy of personal or institutional data to which you may have access.
- Regularly delete unneeded files and E-mail from your own e-mail account and network drives.
All electronic publications of Bethel College must follow established standards regarding the reproduction of copyrighted materials. Always secure appropriate permission when including copyrighted or trademark material such as text, photographic images, video, or graphic illustrations, in any electronic publication.
Learning Commons & Student Labs
The Bethel College student computer labs are equipped with computers and printers primarily for the academic work of our students. Learning Commons & Lab access will only be granted to current Bethel College students, faculty, and staff unless a user has been granted special permission by the Director of End User Services.
- ACAD001 - This is the Learning Commons. These computers should be used primarily for homework, and should contain the special software required by most classes.
- ACAD005 & AC432 - These are teaching labs and are only used for classes and training.
School Year Hours starting Monday, August 26 :
- Monday - Thursday 7:00 a.m. - midnight
- Friday 7:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Sunday Lab hours 5:00p.m. - midnight
- Special Lab Hours as posted for Holidays, etc.
- Monday-Friday 8:00am – 9:00pm
- The computer labs are closed Saturdays and Sundays
- Summer hours are subject to change at any time.
Learning Commons & Lab Rules
- Students, faculty, and staff must be able to produce a valid Bethel College ID card when required of them by the Information Desk Staff or lab assistants. Failure to do so may result in immediate expulsion from the labs.
- Intimidating or vulgar behavior will not be tolerated in the student computer labs. Refusal to leave when directed to do so by Information Desk staff or lab assistants will result in the revocation of student computer lab privileges.
- Please consider others and clean your work area before leaving the labs.
- Food is not permitted in any of the computer labs. Drinks must have a lid that can be closed.
College Network Resources and the Internet
It is essential for each user to recognize his/her responsibility in using our services and systems. Free access to the network is a privilege that may be revoked at any time for abusive conduct. Such conduct includes, but is not limited to:
- Using the network for any purposes that violate U.S. or state laws (such as Bit Torrent or copywrited file sharing)
- Tampering with network cabling or routing devices
- Knowingly and intentionally engaging in any activity that spreads malware to other computers
- Use of abusive or otherwise objectionable language in either public or private messages
- Distribution of unsolicited advertising
- The viewing or distribution of any sexually explicit material.
- Personal wireless routers, and wireless access points are forbidden.
In addition to the main computer lab where students can work on homework or surf the internet, Bethel College has a campus-wide computer network connected in the residence halls. Sailor and the New Dorm Residential Center have both Wireless 802.11b/g/n and Wired Ethernet connection. Wireless networking is installed in all other residence halls and most common areas on campus (such as the Library or Dining Commons).
- H: Drive - You can store your personal files that can be accessed only on the Bethel network.
- G: Drive - Shared drive among campus
- DO NOT save files on lab or classroom computer desktops. They will be deleted when you log off!
Bethel Information Technology Department will not provide equipment or software support for any computer on which unauthorized software is known to exist. In addition, where there are clear violations, Information Technology will report violations to the appropriate authorities.
Computer Suggestions for purchases:
- Network cables and Microsoft Office 2010 are available at the Bethel Bookstore.
- Purchase an up-to-date notebook or desktop computer. Windows 7 with at least 2GB of Ram and at least 100GB Hard Drive or any Intel based Apple laptop or desktop with OS X 10.5 or later.
- Windows 98, ME, 2000 or older not supported
- Mac OS X 10.3 or earlier are not supported
- rewriteable CD/DVD drive
- Apple computers with at least Intel Dual Core processor and OS X 10.4 (10.5-10.7 is recommended). Visit our online Apple Store for Education for discounts.
- Our campus Apple/Mac expert is on duty Monday - Friday at the Helpdesk.
- Make sure it is “Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™”.
- All computers connecting to Bethel’s network must have: Current Antivirus, all Critical and Security updates and be free of viruses and spyware, or they will not be able to connect.
- Free Antivirus software available from Help Desk once on campus.
- Bethel College does not support Wireless cards in Windows 2000 or older Operating Systems.
- Student owned wireless routers and access points are prohibited due to network interference.
Wireless Network in ALL Residence Halls on Campus is 802.11b/g/n
Student Account Expiration
General Computer and e-mail accounts for students will expire 150 days after their last attended class from Bethel College. Your student web account will still be accessible.
Password: first five digits of SSN
Off-Campus Access mail.BethelCollege.edu
Use network/standard login
- Services/Class Information/Grades - my.BethelCollege.edu
Log-in before Registration:
USER NAME: Bethel Student ID #
PASSWORD: First 5 digits of SS#
Log-in after Registration:
USER NAME: firstname.lastname
PASSWORD: First 5 digits of SS#
If you have questions not answered by this guide please contact the Bethel College Help Desk by phone at 574.807.7777 or by email (HelpDesk@BethelCollege.edu)