Computer Network Setup
In addition to the large computer lab where students can work on homework or surf the internet, Bethel College has a campus-wide computer network connected in the residence halls. Sailor Residential Center has both Wireless 802.11b/g/n and Wired 100 base-T networking in the Acorn, Great Room and Manges-Tuckey residence rooms. Wireless Networking is installed in all other residence halls. Many common areas on campus also include wireless access such as Bowen Library, Dining Commons, Miller-Moore Academic Center, Sufficient Grounds and many outdoor areas. Notebook computers are recommended for their portability, but are not a necessity, as the lab is open until midnight except on Friday and Saturday.
- Computer cables, software, and Microsoft software are available at the Bethel Bookstore.
- All computers connecting to Bethel’s network must have: Current Antivirus, all Critical and Security updates and be free of viruses and spyware, or they will not be able to connect.
- Windows 7 or Mac OS X 10.5 - Current is recommended.
- Bethel College does not support Wireless cards in Windows XP or older Operating Systems. Student owned wireless routers and access points are prohibited due to network interference.
WIRED Networking in Manges and Tuckey.
The following settings will be necessary on wired network jacks.
TCP/IP Protocol: DHCP, or "Obtain IP address automatically"
Computer Name: Your Student Username
WIRELESS NETWORK in ALL Residence Halls on Campus is 802.11b,g,n
In January 2012 we installed a new wifi network on campus by Aruba Networks. This system has greatly increased our coverage and quality of service. Here are a few things you will need to know for connecting:
- Students should connect to BC_Wireless. You will be asked for a username (your first.last without @bethelcollege.edu) and your password.
- After entering your log in information, you will be asked to confirm a security warning or certificate. Please do so.
- Game systems such as Wii, Xbox, and Playstations do not have a sign in option. You can connect it to our wireless sytem for a $5.00 fee. Please bring your MAC address of the system to the Helpdesk.
- Authorized game systems connect to bc_mac (all lower case). This setting has to be added in manually to your game system. It will not work on any device till you have brought your MAC address to us.
- BC_Guest is reserved for campus guest only.