Computer Network Setup
Bethel College has a wi-fi network connected campus wide. In addition to all dorms, many common areas on campus include wireless access such as Bowen Library, Dining Commons, Miller-Moore Academic Center, Sufficient Grounds and many outdoor areas. Notebook computers are recommended for their portability, but are not a necessity, as the Learning Commons is open until midnight except on Friday and Saturday.
- Computer cables, software, and Microsoft software are available at the Bethel Bookstore.
- All computers connecting to Bethel’s network must have: Current Antivirus, all Critical and Security updates and be free of viruses and spyware, or they will not be able to connect.
- Windows 7 or Mac OS X 10.6 - Current is recommended.
- Bethel College does not support Windows XP or older Operating Systems. Student owned wireless routers and access points are prohibited due to network interference.
We also offer WIRED Networking in Brenneman, Bridges, Lambert, and Manges-Tuckey Halls.
The following settings will be necessary on wired network jacks.
TCP/IP Protocol: DHCP, or "Obtain IP address automatically" and no special DNS addresses.
WIRELESS NETWORK in ALL Residence Halls on Campus is 802.11b,g,n
In January 2012 we installed a new wifi network on campus by Aruba Networks. This system has greatly increased our coverage and quality of service. Here are a few things you will need to know for connecting:
- Students should connect to BC_Wireless. You will be asked for a username (your first.last without @bethelcollege.edu) and your password.
- After entering your log in information, you will be asked to confirm a security warning or certificate. Please do so.
- Game systems such as Wii, Xbox, and Playstations do not have a sign in option. You can connect it to our wireless (up to three units). Please bring your MAC address of the system to the Helpdesk.
- Authorized game systems connect to bc_mac (all lower case). This setting has to be added in manually to your game system. It will not work on any device till you have brought your MAC address to us.
- BC_Guest is reserved for campus guest only.