Academic Coaching is for students who desire assistance navigating the academic landscape of college. Many students struggle with the transition from high school to college, and need someone to connect with weekly who can assist the student to develop a plan and help him/her follow it.
Academic coaching is flexible, based on student needs. It is available from peers or CAS staff. It might mean one or more of the following:
- Assisting in understanding the expectations within syllabi
- Helping the student utilize a calendar system
- Prioritizing between past due and upcoming assignments
- Setting simple goals that will help the student accomplish the grade s/he desires
- Showing the student how to take effective notes
- Helping the student connect with a tutor or other resources
- Identifying the student’s learning style so s/he can study smarter
- Developing a reward system so the student can feed his/her motivation
- Pointing the student toward on-line resources
- Giving the student regular academic accountability
Contact Rachel Kennedy in the Center for Academic Success to arrange an academic coaching plan or apply here for a peer coach.